The New York Giants have 19 Unrestricted Free Agents that have the ability to search employment with another NFL franchise. If the Giants brass truly believe that Big Blue does not need an “overhaul” one might remind upper management that 1/3 of the roster is not signed.
The Elite 8.
1. Lawrence Tynes(K) – Tynes has more than earned a contract. His right leg has kicked the Giants through the playoffs, into the Superbowl and contributes to beating the Patriots every 5 years. Who wants the hassle of looking for another kicker. Sign Larry to 3 years and lets move on.
2. Will Beatty(OT) – Our left tackle is no Pro Bowler by any stretch; however, he is an efficient player. His skill set and lack of nastiness still screams right tackle but he is the best offensive lineman the Giants have. Signing Beatty is smart purely because of his youth and wingspan.
3. Martellus Bennett(TE) – This is a no-brainer. The big boy can play and has already went on record stating he is willing to extend the Giants a “hometown” discount to continue playing in New York. How can you replace 55 receptions for 626 yards and 5 TDs? Bennett is a must have.
4. Chase Blackburn(LB) – athletically the Giants are suffocating from the lack of play-makers. There is no speed with Blackburn as their starter at inside backer; however he continues to make a plays. He deserves to be a part of this team and has a ton of value in and out of the locker room.
5. Kevin Boothe(OG) – Boothe is another player that screams efficiency. He can play guard, center and spot in at tackle. His versatility and cerebral play gives him value, even as a mentor to the young guys. Athletically he needs to be replaced but a 2 year deal is acceptable.
6. Domenik Hixon(WR) – If No. 87 has proven anything…it’s that hard work pays off. After 2 back to back knee surgeries most people thought the speedy receiver was done. Hixon came back, won the 3rd receiver job and contributed. His specials teams play and return skills are still top notch. Hixon deserves a two year extension purely to push last years rookie receiver Randle to be better and secure the punt return game.
7. Sean Locklear(OT) – If the journeyman is working hard to make a come back I believe Locklear can contribute to the New York Giants. When he was switched to right tackle to handle the duties for an injured David Diehl, the offensive line play improved significantly. While the New York Giants are hurting for offensive lineman, James Brewer has yet to have impressed enough to get on the field.
8. David Carr(QB) – Has David Carr realized that he has it pretty good as Eli’s back up? The Giants made a mess of things 3 years ago when they traded for Sage Rosenfels. Do we really have to do that again? Give the guy a contract.
The rest of the UFA’s will hit the ground running for a new contract and a new team: Umenyiora, Rocky Bernard, Travis Beckum, Ramses Barden, Keith Rivers, Justin Tryon, Shaun Rodgers, Kenny Phillips, Bruce Johnson, Kregg Lumpkin and Brian Witherspoon.
– Craig J. Santucci – Giants Rush Senior Editor